[Tweeters] Midway Beach Sharp-tailed Sandpiper

Jeffrey Bryant jbryant_68 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 10:32:50 PDT 2016

Early this morning in puddly shortgrass area directly seaward from ponds, was at least one, and I'm reasonably sure two Sharp-tailed Sandpipers with 4-5 Pectorals.  Hard to be sure of ratio with driving rain and their exhausting but adorable way of dashing rail-like thru the grass, but 6 birds flew in, and I saw two rufous topknots above the grass about 15 feet and ten seconds apart.  reddish wash to breast briefly, but well seen.Only other shorebird present was a snipe.  Also around the ponds were THREE American Bitterns and a very cooperative Merlin.about an hour and a half of combing upland beach from wrack line well into dune grass produced exactly zero plovers of any kind, unfortunately.
Jeff BryantSeattle-but-Grayland-for-the-weekendjbryant_68 AT yahoo