[Tweeters] Red-shouldered Hawk, Merlin, Peregrine Gardiner Beach Jefferson Co.

John Gatchet jfgatchet at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 11:07:47 PDT 2016

This morning a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk flew through my yard at
Gardiner Beach. Later I heard crows making a great deal of noise. I moved
to a different location and found the hawk. I got some poor ID pictures of
the bird perched in a Hemlock. This looks like the same hawk that was in
my yard in August.

I watched a Merlin chase an American Goldfinch later in the morning. A
juvenile Peregrine with a parent was in the yard a little later. They
chase crows which I think is part of the training for the young bird.

John F. Gatchet
Gardiner, WA