[Tweeters] Union Bay Watch } Adios Amigos

Philip Dickinson pdickins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 12:46:55 PDT 2016

For an interesting book about Osprey migration, check out Soaring with
Fidel by David Gessner. The focus is on east coast migration, but it still
should be interesting to west coasters. Along the east coast, the ospreys
pretty much move singly at least as far as Florida. However, they seem to
group up for the jump to Cuba and beyond, and they can be seen streaming
over Cuba toward South America. My own experience observing Osprey
migration was with a hawk watch in NC. There, the primary raptor migrant is
the Broad-winged, but our side usually recorded about two to three dozen
Ospreys over a 2 1/2 week period in September - occasionally up to 5 or 6 a
day.

Phil Dickinson
Lake Stevens