[Tweeters] Warm Beach shorebirds

Marcus Roening marcus at rainierconnect.com
Sat Sep 24 16:23:04 PDT 2016

Hi Tweets,

Well it is officially the last days of summer, which means the kayaks have to be fetched from their summer home.

It was a beautiful Fall day to kayak and Heather & I checked out all of the shorebirds favorite high tide roosting spots in the mouth of the Stillaguamish River.

The large flocks of Western Sandpipers were down to 35 and the BB Plovers & Greater Yellowlegs were noticeably absent.

We were able to drift by a nicely plumaged juvenile AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, oddly with our only Dunlin of the day.

A flock of 9 Turkey Vultures were quartering the marsh and we had American Pipits flying over and perching on the drift wood.

A great day to be on the water.

Good birding,

Marcus Roening
Tacoma WA