[Tweeters] "Purple-throated" Nutcrackers

Jeff Kozma jcr_5105 at charter.net
Sat Sep 24 20:40:45 PDT 2016

I (and Teresa Lorenz) have seen “Orange-faced White-headed Woodpeckers” frequently in the Wenas area of eastern WA, particularly in years of a heavy ponderosa pine crop. Their faces get an orangish/pink stain around the beak area in mid-late summer when they start to feed on the unripe ponderosa pine cones. So, ponderosa pine cones must contain some of the same anthocyanins, but perhaps not to the degree that white-bark pine does. These stains may show up more on the white face of these birds, compared to the gray plumage of nutcrackers.

Jeff Kozma

Yakima