[Tweeters] Sabine's Gull at Edmonds today

K Ingalls kayliningalls at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 21:46:53 PDT 2016

Hi tweeters!

I still need my lifer Parasitic Jaeger, so I decided to head up to Edmonds
for a spot of sea-watching. A Cassin's Auklet or some Red-necked Phalaropes
wouldn't have been turned away either. I spent around a hour and a half
scoping from both the fishing pier and brackett's landing north. While I
was setting up the scope at the fishing pier around 10:30 I spotted a weird
looking small gull with a boyunt flight. A quick look in the binoculars and
scope showed a white triangle on the wing with a gray back and head and
dark brown primaries, as well as a forked tail with a black tip. The bird
was flying north to south, and I'm horrible at estimating distances so I
can't tell you exactly how far away it was, but not super far.
My photos turned out ok, so here's one
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127653321@N02/29819927312/in/dateposted-public/

That Sabine's Gull more than made up for the lack of Jaegers, Auklets and
Phalaropes! I think I'm upgrading Parasitic Jaeger to nemesis status.....
Other birds I got were 3 Common Murres, 1 in breeding plumage, lots of
assorted gulls including a mostly pure Western, Surf Scoters and some
Pigeon Guillemots

Good seawatching!
-Kaylin Ingalls
Kirkland WA.