[Tweeters] Westport Seabirds Trip Summary 9-25-16

Cara Borre cmborre1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 14:44:46 PDT 2016

I can not match any species of wagtail, but we had a kinglet… and another
fabulous day on the water!

Scott Mills, Bill Shelmerdine and I were joined by a diverse mix of birders
including groups from Minnesota and Eastside Audubon. We had favorable sea
conditions, unseasonably warm weather, and a spectacular showing of birds.

Not only did we had a “5 shearwater day”, which is always special, but we
had exceptional views of Flesh-footed and Buller’s Shearwaters. Each
pelagic trip is different and a new adventure. There are so many variables
that influence the outcome of the day, from sea and weather conditions, to
the ever changing activities of the shrimping and fishing boats. Today we
were granted the “gift of free chum” by a boat fishing for whiting. The
birds were nicely concentrated around the boat, as many fish were lost
while the fishermen pulled in their nets.

In addition to the rarer shearwaters, we had excellent looks at several
Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers and South Polar Skuas. One skua was resting
on a log and allowed close approach and photos. On the return trip we were
granted our only Sabine’s Gull of the day, a juvenile, which was on the
water and also allowed close approach and photo ops. An additional
highlight was the sighting of a Tufted Puffin on the water side by side
with a Rhinoceros Auklet, allowing the group a good comparison viewing
opportunity.

Here is the full species list for the day:

Birds:

Northern Pintail (65)

Surf Scoter (24)

White-winged Scoter (5)

Pacific Loon (7)

Common Loon (14)

Western Grebe (21)

Black-footed Albatross (52)

Northern Fulmar - dark (7)

Northern Fulmar - light (1)

Pink-footed Shearwater (1085)

Flesh-footed Shearwater (3)

Buller’s Shearwater (4)

Sooty Shearwater (536)

Short-tailed Shearwater (1)

Brandt’s Cormorant (66)

Double-crested Cormorant (14)

Pelagic Cormorant (15)

Brown Pelican (343)

Wandering Tattler (3)

Marbled Godwit (550)

Black Turnstone (1)

Sanderling (1)

Red Phalarope (15)

South Polar Skua (7)

Pomarine Jaeger (6)

Parasitic Jaeger (1)

Common Murre (422)

Pigeon Guillemot (1)

Scripps’s/Guadalupe Murrelet (1)

Cassin’s Auklet (18)

Rhinoceros Auklet (48)

Tufted Puffin (1)

Sabine’s Gull (1)

Heerman’s Gull (87)

Ring-billed Gull (1)

California Gull (1537)

Herring Gull (3)

Glaucous-winged/Western/”Olympic” Gull (726)

Caspian Tern (2)

Kinglet spp. (1)

Mammals:

Humpback Whale (3)

Harbor Porpoise (7)

Dall’s Porpoise (13)

Pacific White-sided Dolphin (22)

Harbor Seal (1)

Northern Fur Seal (4)

California Sea-Lion (5)

Northern (Steller’s) Sea-Lion (18)

Fish:

Blue Shark (2)

Ocean Sunfish (86)

There are still a few more trips left in the season. Please consult the
website: www.westportseabirds.com for the complete schedule and

further information.

Happy Birding,

Cara Borre