[Tweeters] Nisqually Whimbrels continue

festuca at comcast.net festuca at comcast.net
Thu Sep 29 07:45:23 PDT 2016

Hi folks,

After the weekly Wednesday morning Bird Walk at Nisqually Refuge, it was still a pretty low tide. I had a short lunch and went back out to the Estuary Boardwalk at 2 p.m. to catch the incoming tide & hope for some shorebirds.

There were few sandpipers to be seen - only a few Least Sandpipers on the flood. The morning group had seen a flock of about 30 "peeps", which were speculated as being Dunlin. But, my walk out to the Estuary Overlook was short on birds (if not a nice walk on a stunningly beautiful afternoon...)

Scoping from the overlook, I found the continuing pair of Whimbrels, feeding at the edge of the slough about 180 meters east of the platform.

On my way back in, I met a woman heading out to see if she could get photographs, and when I bumped into her later in the afternoon, she said she'd seen them as well.

Cheers,
Jon. Anderson
Olympia