[Tweeters] Piebald Deer

Michelle Maani lamoustique at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 18:04:27 PDT 2016

My trip today to the Ridgefield Carty Unity yielded no unusual sightings. I saw Western Jays, Great Egrets, a Bewick's wren, two Downey woodpeckers, and many chickadees, as well as some geese and five Sandhill Cranes flying southward.   But as I was leaving downtown Ridgefield on Pioneer, before the section where the road collapsed last winter, a deer ran into the road ahead of the car. First thought, "Deer, probably black-tailed." Second thought, " Dang, is that a goat?"  It was a smallish deer, dark gray except for huge white spots on its body, like piebald coloring on a goat. Then it turned around and I could see it clearly, it was a deer.  It bounded back the direction it came, across someone's lawn and into the woods.    I've never seen anything like it before.  Is this common?
Michelle MaaniSalmon Creek, WA