[Tweeters] First OCW of the year (and other spring arrivals)

Bob Sundstrom ixoreus at scattercreek.com
Tue Apr 4 15:34:00 PDT 2017

We saw our first Orange-crowned Warbler here in Thurston County along Scatter Creek on April 1, but still none singing nearby yet. Same day as first of spring Savannah Sparrow singing in our meadow. First returning American Goldfinches in full spring color on March 31. Still waiting for first Common Yellowthroat at the adjacent marsh, where Virginia Rails have been very vocal since late March. Rufous and Anna's Hummers plentiful, sapsuckers very active in pair behavior.

The numbers of Purple Finches have been quite a bit higher than normal for the past month, 15-20 at feeders at same time when the typical is 6-8. Anyone else seeing a jump in Purple Finch numbers?

Good birding, Bob Sundstrom

Sent from my iPhone