[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 12:33:17 PDT 2017

After two months of unrelenting rain, it is nice to see the occasional ray of sun and the smell of spring in the air. The first waves of migrants bring hope for milder weather. For the most part, this roundup covers February and March.

We have had several code 5 species. We learned in early March about a Townsend’s Solitaire that had been appearing daily for about two months at a home in the Edmonds Bowl, beginning January 9, 2017. That is only the second solitaire that we are aware of. A Swamp Sparrow, first seen in the Edmonds Marsh in November 2016, was relocated March 14th. It has appeared to stay fairly far out in the Marsh, often eluding detection. It is the second record of that species. A Black-legged Kittiwake was reported on the waterfront on March 19th. That is our fifth record so this species will become a code 4 on the next revision of the Edmonds checklist.

There have been two code 4 species. A Western Gull was on the waterfront on February 4th and four Tundra Swans flew along the waterfront on February 17th.

As expected, there have been more frequent sightings of code 3 birds. Lesser Scaups were in the Edmonds portion of Lake Ballinger on February 22nd. Two Tree Swallows flew over the Edmonds Marsh on March 14th. Two Turkey Vultures were spotted passing over the Marsh on March 16th and were then seen by at least one other birder as they headed north. A number of Long-tailed Ducks were seen from the Edmonds-Kingston ferry, in Edmonds waters, on March 28th. A single California Quail was at the Marsh on March 30th, and a Common Yellowthroat first appeared there on April 4th. A single Eurasian Collared-Dove flew across the waterfront near the public pier on April 6th.

In other migration sightings, Violet-green Swallows first passed through Edmonds on March 19th, the first Savannah Sparrow showed up on March 30th, an Osprey was on the waterfront on March 31st, and an Orange-crowned Warbler was seen on April 6th in the vicinity of the Marsh. Lots of Brants are gathering in Edmonds waters and feeding along the shore as the tide ebbs.

We are at 112 species for the year. Species on our collective list are noted in the bird information display box at the Olympic Beach Visitor Station at the base of the public pier. If you would like a copy of the current Edmonds checklist, please request it at checklistedmonds at gmail.com <mailto:checklistedmonds at gmail.com>.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Abundance codes: (1) Common, (2) Uncommon, (3) Harder to find, usually seen annually, (4) Rare, 5+ records, (5) Fewer than 5 records