[Tweeters] Columbia River Gorge Birds

Wilson Cady gorgebirds at juno.com
Sat Apr 8 22:06:03 PDT 2017

Eight other people joined me for a Vancouver Audubon field trip exploring along the river in Skamania County and western Klickitat County. Our first stop was at Skamania Landing where we picked up our FOY county BARN and CLIFF SWALLOWS. On Hamilton Island below Bonneville Dam, we had the FOY 3 RED CROSSBILLS. At Rock Creek Cove in Stevenson a COMMON LOON was a surprise in that shallow body of water. Another COMMON LOON was on Drano Lake, a WESTERN MEADOWLARK was in the boat launch parking lot and at the waterfall at the Little White Salmon fish hatchery a delightful pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS were a delightful addition to our list. We then drove into Klickitat County and headed to the Balch-Lyle Cemetery where we flushed a NORTHERN GOSHAWK from a pine tree and found a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER and 3 ACORN WOODPECKERS. We had hoped to see a good wildflower display by going up the Dalles Mountain Road but the cool weather has delayed the bloom by a couple of weeks, we did have WESTERN BLUEBIRD and several BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES driving over the mountain. Wilson Cady
Columbia River Gorge, WA