[Tweeters] Neah Bay Mountain Bluebirds, Swainson's Hawk 4/8-4/9

Ryan Merrill rjm284 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 22:28:08 PDT 2017

I spent the weekend birding out at Neah Bay. On Saturday (4/8) the
temperature ended up staying in the low 40s and it rained most of the day.
Sunday (4/9) was dry with an east wind and got up around 50 degrees. There
were quite a few birds around on both days. I spent an hour and a half
watching the raptor show from Bahokus Peak on Sunday - a lot of Red-tailed
Hawks plus a bonus sighting of several Killer Whales just northwest of
town! Rufous Hummingbirds, Orange-crowned Warblers, White-crowned Sparrows
and Hermit Thrushes were particularly common.

Greater White-fronted Goose - a tight flock of 60 on the bay 4/8
Trumpeter Swan - 1 young bird on the Tsoo Yess River 4/8
Golden Eagle - 1 Wa'atch Valley 4/9
Swainson's Hawk - 1 Bahokus Peak 4/9
Sandhill Crane - all seen overhead migrating north - 420 on 4/8, 105 on 4/9
American Kestrel - at least half a dozen hanging out in the valley
Horned Lark - 1 along the waterfront in town near the Warmhouse Restaurant
Mountain Bluebird - 13 (6 males, 7 females) in the valley both days
including a few really bright males
Townsend's Solitaire - 1 in town near the beginning of the road toward the
jetty and another by Tsoo Yess Beach on 4/8

I posted a few photos of the bluebirds and cranes online:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjm284/

Good birding,
Ryan Merrill
Seattle