[Tweeters] Tipping guides

stan willey steamboatwilleys at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 22:56:22 PDT 2017

I'd like to offer an opposing view on tipping guides.  My wife and I are not tourists, but we've traveled quite extensively; self arranged travel in eleven foreign countries.  I don't tip guides.  When I arrange with someone to provide us with a service, I politely make sure that they are charging me what they need to make and what they propose to do.  And that's it.  I figure it's their job to do a good job.  In my case, they always have, we have a good time, and we part friends.  You might also note that in some countries, tipping is not expected and may sometimes be considered impolite.  My own attitude is that it is healthier all around to generously fit into the culture you are in, rather than throwing money around.Stan