[Tweeters] Cassin's Vireo, Western Kingbirds WWCo.

Mike & MerryLynn m.denny at charter.net
Sun Apr 16 21:07:20 PDT 2017

Hello all,

Despite the freeze last night birds were on the move this morning -
especially at the "Millet Pond" in western Walla Walla county. This area
designed solely for hunting is flooded this year - looking good for
migrants for the next 6 weeks or so. The Mosquito Control folks are out
there all the time - so the water is pretty sterile. Used to really
attract egrets and herons but no tadpoles or larvae to eat now.

Just east of the millet pond parking area a pair of BALD EAGLES have
built a nest - and she was on it - this is a first for this area. An
early CASSIN'S VIREO was singing to the east - I tracked it down in a
brushy area - it was eating well on caterpillars.

A pair of WESTERN KINGBIRDS were very vocal - flying around their
nesting tree - happy to be back.

A SORA was calling in the northwest pond - another yearbird.

Up Hatch Grade was a LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE - this area burned many years ago
so no shrub-steppe left - just a lucky sighting.

A BONAPARTE'S GULL was spotted along Mill Creek east of Walla Walla this
morning - another year bird - #172 for our county yearlist.

Singing Yellow-rumped Warblers and House Wrens added spring melody to
our walk.

Happy spring birding, MerryLynn

--
Mike & MerryLynn Denny
Birding the Beautiful Walla Walla Valley