[Tweeters] advice on bird feeders/Deer Mice

Megan Lyden meganlyden at msn.com
Tue Apr 18 13:28:17 PDT 2017

Hi Tweeters,

Any advice?

I took down my bird feeders; I saw a rat the other night, and set out a trap, but kept the feeders up. Much as I don't want rats….the next night I trapped a Deer Mouse, which carry Hanta Virus, so I took the feeders down. A guy in Issasqua died last year and a woman in Redmond was infected with the virus: https://publichealthinsider.com/2017/03/21/two-cases-of-hantavirus-reported-in-king-county-since-december-2016-be-aware-of-health-risks-associated-with-deer-mouse-infestations/. I saw one article which said around 14% of Deer Mice are carriers and another said around 40% are. Either way, I don't want to be paranoid, but I don't want a deer mouse infestation.

So………I'd eventually like to put my feeders back up but wonder if anyone has extra-large tray under their feeders. Has that prevented seed from scattering on the ground? I'd like to know before I buy one. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well,

Megan L
Bellevue, WA