[Tweeters] advice on bird feeders/Deer Mice

Wally Davis wallydavis3 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 17:24:25 PDT 2017

I did my graduate work in biology studying rodents in the chaparral near
Berkeley. Unfortunately I caught what I believe was hantavirus a few years
before it was even identified as a disease and spent a month in the UC San
Francisco Medical Center.

Currently I have a large feeder with a large tray. Some of the sunflower
seeds go over the side particularly when Steller's jays are feeding. I
modified my feeder to hinder but not stop the jays by making them duck to
get at the food. What's on the ground attracts a lot of ground feeding birds
such as spotted towhee which, of course, I enjoy. What I do is set a bunch
of live traps so I don't accidentally kill a bird, chipmunk, or chickaree.
When I catch a rat or mouse the whole trap goes into a tray of water; I
dispose of the cadaver by emptying the trap in the woods. I never touch the
rodent. Suet is the best bait I have found.