[Tweeters] Snohomish Whimbrels and Sandhill Crane

Steve Pink pirangas at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 21 18:08:51 PDT 2017

Today, Duane and Karen Karna, Ann Marie and I birded north-west Snohomish area and Camano Island.

Highlights were c10 Whimbrels - first seen from Stanwood STP flying towards Eide Road. We went over to Eide Road and within a few minutes we heard and then saw close to 100 Whimbrel flying over. They seemed to be heading north. We lost sight of them. But then a few more flying low overs the fields. Duane diligently counted 93 in the large flock. This was about 11 a.m.

Later about 3.30 we were at Big Ditch, when a couple of Bald Eagles flushed a flock of Snow Geese hiding in the reeds. We then noticed a larger bird flying above the flock and realised it was a Sandhill Crane. It landed with the geese. A few minutes later they were flushed again by another eagle - and the Crane was again flying with the Snow Geese. It appeared to land with the geese again. Ir did not seem to fly away.

Ir was a good day.

Cheers, Steve

Steve Pink Edmonds, WA mailto: pirangas at hotmail.com