[Tweeters] FOY Hermit Thrush / Hummer update / Caryn/Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Sat Apr 22 13:22:15 PDT 2017

Hello birders!

Just happened to spot a Hermit Thrush taking a lengthy splash and shake on the ground birdbath. Saw nice coloration in the tail as it stood on the edge of the bath, with its back to me, and then turned around to show me its spots. I'll be listening now for the Swainson's return - hoping they pass through again this year. The towhees also enjoy this bath. There seem to be at least two pair - the front yard pair tug grasses from one of the planters and then flies off with it to the neighboring garden. The rear yard pair also finds nesting material here and then enjoys bathing, after a good feast at our feeders, then off to the rear neighboring garden. I guess everyone can't nest here!

The Anna is spending quite a bit of time on the nest now, so assuming there are eggs. Her bill is quite black and elongated so think it is the same bird, using her usual nesting site. Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish the bill from a pine needle. Great camo! This has all just taken a week since spotting her start the nest. I've added a couple of small sticks covered in lichen and moss to sit atop the fluff ball. One stop shopping right next to the fly-through diner.

Looking forward to seeing some shorebirds soon! But, as always it's difficult to leave this bit of urban wild.

Caryn / Wedgwood