[Tweeters] tagged Samish Rough-leg OH; Whimbrels Skagit, etc

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 23 09:13:50 PDT 2017

Dear Tweeters,
For some reason, I suddenly could not export from AviSys to eBird last night, although I had been doing so routinely on my new computer for a few weeks. Sigh.
A few good Skagit birds from yesterday, April 22, are worth reporting.
--Yellow-headed Blackbird, one on Minkler Flats;
--Whimbrel, four flying past Green Point (Washington Park), not a bird I'd seen there before. Also one Whimbrel on Sullivan Road on Samish Flats;
--Lincoln's and Golden-crowned Sparrows at Green Point, not sure I'd ever seen those species there before;
--Lots of birds at Ship Harbor, but no martins;
--Two Marbled Godwits at March Point dredge-spoil islets.
--Two late Rough-legged Hawks on Samish Flats, one of which was the tagged individual "OH" from the airport bird-removal program at YVR (Vancouver, BC). The other Rough-leg may have been tagged as well, but I am not sure. I could see both RLHAs at the same time, one along Bay-View-Edison Road, the other at the East Ninety.
In general, it was interesting to see the little flocks of dabbling ducks, now dwindling down to the low hundreds at the most, often fewer than that. At the same time, my yard is absolutely swarming with White-crowned Sparrows!
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch