[Tweeters] birding the coast

dlmoor2 at coastaccess.com dlmoor2 at coastaccess.com
Fri Apr 28 11:44:58 PDT 2017

Hey Tweets! The number of shorebirds is increasing with the better
weather out here. We are experiencing typical spring weather, with some
scattered showers but lots of big clouds and blue skies, and it looks as
though the weather for the Grays Harbor Shorebird & Nature Festival is
going to be dry and mostly sunny...let's hope that pans out.

For those of you who like to follow the numbers, our web site features a
list and numbers every few days. You can access it at this link

http://www.shorebirdfestival.com/viewing/viewing2017

With more visitors out to see the shorebirds comes more non-shorebirds
being seen, including the first Caspian Terns, a snow goose and 6 red
knots at Bottle Beach SP, 2 blue-winged teal, a chipping sparrow, and 10
American White Pelicans at Hoquiam STP, and some good birds at Ocean
City SP.

Be sure to check out e-bird for the awesome pelagics out of the Westport
Seabirds trips.

This week also brought the first big flocks of migrating geese flying
north overhead...Greater White-fronted by the sound.

Finally...our Tokeland/Grayland/Westport field trip is full, as is the
Huynisisoos (formerly Point Grenville) trip. We still have seats
available for both Friday and Saturday for the field trips to Ocean
Shores, and the Sunday field trip to Westport (which includes stops at
Bottle Beach SP and John's River WA). Seats are still available for the
May 5 Keynote Speaker, Tim Boyer, the shorebird basics lecture and field
trip out to the refuge, a lecture and photos of Antarctica, and the
Sunday peregrine falcon lecture.

Today is the last day to sign up for the annual dinner catered by
O'Brien's with our (not-to-be-missed) after-dinner speaker, Dr. Julia
Parrish.

And we have some great vendors and exhibitors, including good deals on
optics and birding goods from Jim Ullrich and Wild Birds Unlimited,
local goodies from Nancy's Bakery, and some very cool art by local
artisans.

The one bummer...Bill's Spit in Ocean Shores is not available this year
due to erosion issues, with the city folks closing access. Please
respect private property of the nearby neighbors and skip this stop this
year.

So come on out and enjoy spring migration at its finest, say Hi to all
the volunteers, and enjoy this truly amazing spectacle.

Dianna Moore/Registrar

GH Shorebird & Nature Festival