[Tweeters] RE: Bird ID challenge

Michelle Maani lamoustique at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 30 10:06:57 PDT 2017

I think the distinct brown spot is the feet.  I was looking for a pigeon-like bird with a vent that is colored and could find none, but when looking at photos of birds in flight realized that from a distance the feet might look like a colored spot.  The tail in the shot is not spread out, which makes ID a bit more difficult. I think that the suggestion by others that they are band-tailed pigeons is an excellent possibility.  Compare to this shot of a band-tailed pigeon in flight, even the colors of the bird from underneath look similar:  http://10a8t53m3jvw1jdy2mmh3d38.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/850rxxxIMG_7665_cr.jpgMichelle Maani

Date: Sat Apr 29 2017 22:07 pm
From: jriegsecker AT pobox.com |

|   |

| All,

Friday forenoon I photographed the southern ends of birds flying north

at Steilacoom Park. There were at least 17 in all, flying in a loose

flock. I would say they were somewhere between the size of a pigeon and

a crow. The photos are butt shots taken at extreme range. However, you

can see they have a white breast, which narrows to a strip and then

becomes wider near the tail, with a distinct brown spot. Perhaps

someone who knows their birds backwards and forwards can identify them.

Photos here:

http://skygardener.zenfolio.com/p996964534

Thanks in advance for any help.

John Riegsecker