[Tweeters] WOS Grays Harbor trip 29 April

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Sun Apr 30 10:45:53 PDT 2017

Hi Tweets

Yesterday, WOS folks took a trip to Grays Harbor County. We started out
early from the Seattle area under broken clouds and a 44F temperature. It
took us a while to get down to the Olympia area because of the delays for
southbound I-5 construction near Fort Lewis. During a quick stop in West
Olympia we saw ROCK PIGEON and VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW. On the way out west we
had a COMMON RAVEN and a RED-TAILED HAWK fly over the road.

Our first real stop for the day was at the Hoquiam Ponds where we found
MALLARD, GADWALL, GREATER SCAUP. LESSER SCAUP, GREEN-WINGED TEAL, NORTHERN
SHOVELER, AMERICAN WIGEON, EURASIAN WIGEON, WESTERN GREBE, EURASIAN
COLLARED-DOVE, OSPREY, TREE SWALLOW, EUROPEAN STARLING, REDWINGED BLACKBIRD,
BARN SWALLOW, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL (only one, very unusual at the lack of
gulls). We cruised along the willows and picked up WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW,
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, SAVANNAH SPARROW, MARSH WREN, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT,
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, SONG SPARROW, CANADA GOOSE, TURKEY VULTURE, AMERICAN
CROW, RING-NECKED DUCK, NORTHERN PINTAIL, BAIRD'S SANDPIPER, and LEAST
SANDPIPER (back at the eastern end of the ponds). We still had high broken
clouds and the temperature had dropped to 40F, but no wind.

On out to Ocean Shores and the north jetty. The tide was very far out and we
could walk on the sand about three-quarter of the way out to the end of the
jetty, but in spite of this we could not spot any rock shorebirds. A couple
of WESTERN GULLs were present. A large flock of DUNLIN were north on the
beach and as we tried to work our way up they progressively moved further
north. There seemed to be some smaller shorebirds with them but we finally
had to give up. Back to the jetty and up onto the rocks where we
successfully found a WANDERING TATTLER, the prime target for one of our
members. In the channel we had PELAGIC CORMORANT, RED-THROATED and PACIFIC
LOON. We drove back north into town and then drove a ways up the beach,
picking up GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLs, many flocks of SANDERLINGs, WESTERN
SANDPIPERs and a couple of SEMI-PALMATED PLOVERs.

A brief stop at Ocean City State Park for lunch gave us BROWN CREEPER,
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE, and AMERICAN CROW. The clouds had closed and the
ceiling dropped and we had some light rain going back east. A single
BUFFLEHEAD was sighted along the way.

We made the run around to Bottle Beach to get there before high tide. By now
we had light mist and some wind. Lots of photographers out at the beach, but
the shorebirds were way up the beach. A single CALIFORNIA GULL was on the
close beach. We walked quite a ways up and got to a spot where we could scan
the shorebirds. A large group of BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERs, DUNLIN, WESTERN
SANDPIPERs, LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, RED KNOT(at least six) and nice views for
our group, and two AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVERs. Then everybody flushed even
further up the beach to the north, they were now at least one-half mile
away. The whole group of birds lifted off and a PEREGRINE FALCON dove on
them. A portion came back down the beach and were closer to us (it was now
raining steadily), and we could see LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHER, DUNLIN, GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL, offshore in choppy water there were
two WHITE-WINGED SCOTERs and about 6 RED-BREASTED MERGANSERs (really
difficult to get numbers because of the distance and chop). A single RUDDY
TURNSTONE flew by. A BAND-TAILED PIGEON flew over the road on the way home.

At spots during the day we saw KILLDEER, CASPIAN TERN, GREAT BLUE HERON,
NORTHERN HARRIER, AMERICAN ROBIN.

We saw 66 species for the day under less than ideal conditions, but got some
really excellent views for a great group of folks.

Good Birding!

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA

Mail to bell asoc a t iso media dot com