[Tweeters] Red-necked Phalarope in Point Whitehorn Marine Reserve area, Blaine/Ferndale WA

Eric Ellingson abriteway at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 20 22:35:27 PDT 2017

This afternoon Phil C. and I took a quick cruise around the Point Whitehorn Marine area.

Turned up about 100 scoters, looked to be mostly Surf, 100 Common Murre - some changing plumage and maybe some juvenile, a few Common Loon, some Pigeon Guillemot and finally our target bird the phalarope. Not sure if we saw one or two. Gracefully feeding on a weed patch. The Flickr link also goes to a couple Common Murre shots. Not sure if the lighter colored of them is a juvenile or just changing coats from summer to winter. Any ideas? None of my guide books seem to show that plumage.

[X]Red-necked Phalarope<https://flic.kr/p/XHkVq4>
Point Whitehorn Marine Reserve,

[https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4433/36567485391_32725c34f4_b.jpg] <https://www.flickr.com/photos/ericellingson/36567485391/>

Eric Ellingson