Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 16:20:54 PDT 2017

Hi Tweets -
Not surprisingly, the word of the day was ‘hot’ — we started in decently cool conditions but it soon heated up — and as expected, the birding in the doldrums went from slowish down to downright quiet. Not a lot around, but we worked hard and made it to 52 species for the day. Brian Bell, Sharon Cormier-Aagaard & I subbed for Michael, and were joined by four others.

Highlights, as such:
Green Heron - one adult & one imm at the weir
Spotted Sandpipers - still around - 3 of them at the weir
Great Blue Heron - still a few on the nests at the heronry
Barn Owl - Brian glimpsed one early
Western Screech-Owl - Brian heard one early near other recent reports
Pacific-slope Flycatcher - 1 in the off-leash area
Purple Martin - watched on being fed in the gourds at the lake viewing platform, 5-6 overhead later in the morning
Swainson’s Thrush — several heard over the east meadow before dawn - perhaps a migration movement of them [seems early?] - never saw any after daylight
Common Yellowthroat were our only warblers - but we saw many many young ones
Black-headed Grosbeak - one adult male

Good birding,

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA