[Tweeters] Ocean Shores Night Flight - shorebird edition and today's diurnal counts

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 21:33:45 PDT 2017

Hi tweeters,

After the sheer fun of spending many quality hours with shorebirds
yesterday, I anticipated another good day today. However, I was surprised
to wake at about 3:30 this morning to the sound of many *krees*, *breeps*,
and *chuwees* flying overhead in the dark. I have absolutely no idea how
many birds were involved but it had to be in the thousands. The following
are estimates:

Western Sandpiper (krees): 80%
Least Sandpiper (breeps): 18%
Semipalmated Plover (chuwees): 2%
Swainson's Thrush: zero

I spent the first five hours of the morning at the Game Range:

Semipalmated Plover: 61
Western Sandpiper: 30
Least Sandpiper: 55
Black-bellied Plover: 38
Greater Yellowlegs: 9
Lesser Yellowlegs: 4
Short-billed Dowitcher: 13
Long-billed Dowitcher: 1
AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER: 1 (continuing)
Baird's Sandpiper: 3
SNOWY PLOVER: 1 (I don;t know the status of this species in Grays Harbor
County)
Sanderling: 1

This evening's count at the same location (6:30-8:30)

Short-billed Dowitcher: 34
AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER: 1
Black-bellied Plover: 35
Greater Yellowlegs: 11
Lesser Yellowlegs: 4
Semipalmated Plover: 80 (probably at least 150 total as flocks were
departing heading south)
Western Sandpiper: 150 (probably double that since flocks were taking off
heading south)
Least Sandpiper: 150 (ditto)
Baird's Sandpiper: 1
Whimbrel: 2
Ruddy Turnstone: 1

Both of my evening visits to the Game Range showed plenty of that restless
activity (*zugunruhe*) that portends a decent night flight. We'll see if
it happens tonight since I'll be listening.

Tomorrow will start with a visit to Point Brown jetty followed by several
hours at the Game Range. Hopefully that Far Eastern Curlew that I've been
searching for will show up tomorrow.......

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim
--
Jim Danzenbaker