[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 8/9/17

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 18:52:00 PDT 2017

Tweets,

Today 40 of us enjoyed a slow walk at Nisqually. It was warm and
breezeless and there was not too much action. We had a -0.8 low tide
at 1:30 so there was lots of mud to be seen. Still we had some nice
sightings.

The highlight of the day was a NASHVILLE WARBLER, followed closely by
a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER.

The NASHVILLE WARBLER was seen along the west side of the boardwalk to
the twin barns between the last bench and the turn off to the barns.
It was seen early and again later in the day.

The BAIRD'S SANDPIPER was seen from the base of the estuary boardwalk
with a small flock of LEAST SANDPIPERS, before they took off toward
the reach. We also had a flyover of a GREATER YELLOWLEGS and saw 4 or
5 WILSON'S SNIPE inside the estuary dike.

It was a good day for raptors with BALD EAGLE, RED-TAILED HAWK,
NORTHERN HARRIER, COOPER HAWK, and SHARP-SHINNED HAWK all being
sighted. Some of the group reported a PEREGRINE FALCON flyover.

Shep will have a more detailed report in his ebird report.

For the day I had 43 species and now have 124 for the year. Mammals
seen were BLACK-TAILED DEER and COTTON TAILED RABBIT.

Until next week when we will have better tides and hopefully cooled weather....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA