[Tweeters] Possible Mallard X Teal Hybrid at Canyon Park North of Bothell, Snohomish County

Jeremy Schwartz jschwartz1124 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 15:24:10 PDT 2017

Hello Tweeters!

More birding news from the wonderful wetlands of the north Bothell office
parks!

I was out Friday morning birding at the Canyon Park wetlands in south
Snohomish County, abutting 228th Street SE to the south and the
Bothell-Everett Highway to the west.

The smoke was still hanging in the air, but dissipating. I set out at about
6:30 a.m. to bird the area, which is made up of waterlogged wetlands to the
north and grassy reaches dotted with stands of trees to the south. The two
areas are split in two by a wonderfully maintained asphalt walking and
biking path. Keep an eye out for bicyclists if you go!

I walked a leisurely pace along the path, spotting belted kingfishers over
the water, cedar waxwings, goldfinches and sparrows darting from tree to
tree and at least three willow flycatchers sending their sneeze-like
*fitz-bew* out over the landscape.

As a I rounded a curve in the path, I came across at least 30
mallard-looking ducks sitting on the asphalt. The air still had a chill in
it, so I could only guess they were soaking up the absorbed heat from the
path to keep warm. I saw mostly males with eclipse plumage, with some
domestics thrown in for good measure.

The ducks allowed me to get surprisingly close, allowing me a good look at
an oddly colored member of their gathering. It had a decidedly teal-like
head and associated coloring, but a mallard body beneath.

I asked around with some birding friends and submitted a photo to the ABA's
What's This Bird Facebook page. With this input gathered, I'm pretty
confident in saying I spotted a mallard X green-winged teal hybrid. Here's
my checklist, which includes some photos:

eBird tells me this is rare, hence my desire to share the find with all of
you. If this turns out to be not that big of deal, still make a point to
check out the Canyon Park wetlands. Like the other spots I bird in the
North Creek area of Bothell, it's quite the hidden gem.

Keep watching the skies!

Jeremy Schwartz
Lake Forest Park
jschwartz1124 at gmail dot com