[Tweeters] Everett STP Franklin's Gull

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 20:39:56 PDT 2017

Hello Tweets,
Just before 5pm this evening myself and three other birders had a
Franklin's Gull fly past us at the Everett Sewage Treatment Plant. It
continued north, but this area has been good for FRGU in the past, so
perhaps it'll hang around. The tide was still too high for shorebirds,
so no Stilt Sandpipers were present. Unfortunately there is a
temporary "no trespassing" sign at the gate to the road that goes
along the east side of the sewage ponds, so that great shorebird
habitat is inaccessible at the moment. Hopefully this is related to
the construction and won't last long.

Earlier in the evening I managed to time the tides perfectly mudflats
north of the marina and had good numbers of shorebirds while the shore
was still close enough to scope easily. At least three Baird's
Sandpipers were present along with many peeps. The peeps were mostly
Western Sandpipers, but quite a few Least's and a couple Semipalmated
Sandpipers were present as well. It's always interesting to me how
little species diversity there is at this spot, despite sometimes
immense numbers of individual birds.

Josh Adams
Cathcart, WA