Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 17 18:37:51 PDT 2017

Tweets -
Well, still in the doldrums — Marymoor Park today did a good job of showing just how quiet the mid-August birding can be — it was mighty quiet almost all day — Brian Bell & I substituted for Michael Hobbs in leading this week’s walk — weather was great, in the low-to-mid 60s - but the birds were mostly quiet.
Highlights:

Greater Yellowlegs - one heard at about 5:30, from the meadow viewing mound. Likely our first for the year at the park.
Green Heron - 2 juvies along the slough, 1 adult at the Rowing Club
Barn Owl - one flying in the east meadow and model airplane field around 5:30 - 5:45
Black-throated Gray Warbler - 1 seen in south end of dog meadow
Yellow Warbler - only 1, heard singing

Only 1 Willow Flycatcher heard, and other heard-only birds included Purple Martin, Pileated Woodpecker, Killdeer, Red-breasted Nuthatch and more.
We missed things that might be moving on like Black-headed Grosbeak, Swainson’s Thrush, and Spotted Sandpiper , as well as a few locals like Bushtit and Red-breasted Sapsucker.

We did have a nice show of Vaux’s Swifts late, with a flock of ~20 over the entrance bridge.

For the day, 43 species, well below the total for the last several weeks.

Good birding,

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA