[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 11:44:39 PST 2017

January started out cold with all fresh water ponds frozen. That kept waterfowl species limited until the thaw. Nevertheless, we have had a good first month of 2017.

Our only code 5 species was the Palm Warbler at Marina Beach that continued into the first part of the month and provided many with good viewing opportunities. We have had two code 4 species. A single Surfbird has been appearing on the marina breakwater intermittently since late December. It was most recently in the company of a single Black Turnstone, another code 4 species.

Code three species seen are Wood Duck (Pine Ridge Park), Harlequin Duck (waterfront), Wilson’s Snipe (Edmonds Marsh), Red-throated Loon (waterfront), Common Loon (waterfront), Brandt’s Cormorant (waterfront), Common Raven (north and south Edmonds neighborhoods), Western Meadowlark (Marina Beach), and Brewer’s Blackbird (Olympic Beach). Western Meadowlark was one of several code 3 species that we missed in 2016.

We have picked up most of the common and uncommon species that we would expect to see at this time of year. One code 2 species worth noting was an Ancient Murrelet sighting close to the pier in late January. The species can be seen in January, but not every year. October, November, and December usually provide much better viewing opportunities.

We have ended January with 87 species. A checklist of annual sightings is maintained in the bird information display box at the Olympic Beach Visitor Station at the base of the pier.

If you would like a pdf copy of our 2017 revised checklist, please send your request to checklistedmonds at gmail.com. If you bird in Edmonds, the checklist can be a helpful reality check. For example, there are several species that get called regularly that are rarely here. Ring-billed Gull is one that needs to be identified carefully. It is commonly seen in Everett but rarely seen in Edmonds. Another that requires careful identification is the Eared Grebe. It is a code 3 for Snohomish County, but rarely seen in Edmonds and never in multiple numbers. Both of these species seem to gravitate toward protected waters. The exposed nature of the Edmonds waterfront seems to discourage them.

Good birding,

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA

Codes: (1) common; (2) uncommon; (3) harder to find, usually seen annually; (4) rare, 5+ records; (5) fewer than 5 records.