[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 2/1/17

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:22:56 PST 2017

Tweets,

Today 35 of us enjoyed a successful, if cold. day at Nisqually. It was
clear but cold and breezy out on the dike and the estuary boardwalk.
Passerines were scarce but it was good day.

Highlights included multiple RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS, a WILSON'S SNIPE, and
our first sighting of a GREAT HORNED OWL for the year.

The RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKERS were everywhere! We started with 3 in the
orchard and then 2 by the Nisqually Land Trust Office that may have flown
there from the orchard. Next we saw one near the freshwater pond overlook
on the way to the twin barns. Later we saw another one near the wetland
near the parking lot and other folks behind us were looking at one near the
woodland trail.

The WILSON'S SNIPE continues at the visitor center pond near where the
spring empties into the pond. It was there at 8 this morning and still
there at 1 this afternoon.

Richard spotted the GREAT HORNED OWL in the hollowed out tree next to last
year's nest tree. It was quite prominent sitting quietly observing all who
were observing it. Not sure if this is the nest but we will keep you posted.

The number of waterfowl remains good but they are scattered throughout all
the wetlands, of which there are many right now.

As I mentioned, passerines were scarce due to the cold and wind. we did
manage to find one mixed flock on the Nisqually side that contained both
CHICKADEES, DOWNY WOODPECKER, BROWN CREEPER, GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET, and
SONG SPARROWS.

For the day I had 45 species and now have 60 for the year. Mammals seen
included BLACK-TAILED DEER and a VOLE.

Until next week.......

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com