[Tweeters] Magnuson Park Merlin

Byers byers345 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 16:13:04 PST 2017

Hello Tweeters,

Bill and I got over to Magnuson fairly early this morning
while everything was still all crunchy with ice. The payoff seems to have
been that we saw more raptors. First was a Cooper's Hawk at a bit of a
distance, then, on the hill where people fly kites, we saw a Merlin land in
one of the taller trees. It then took off and came back with a hapless
passerine bird. We watched the Merlin eat its breakfast until a Crow came
along and chased it away. After that we saw yet another Cooper's Hawk. We
think this one had heard the same California Quails calling that we had.
The hawk was very intent on staying tucked into a blackberry bramble and let
Bill come within about 10 feet before it away a few feet. We also observed
two Bald Eagles.

Otherwise, the birds were more or less the same ducks,
geese, and small birds you would expect at Magnuson.

Charlotte Byers, Seattle