[Tweeters] Hummingbirds in the Snow

festuca at comcast.net festuca at comcast.net
Sun Feb 5 09:51:46 PST 2017

Hi folks,

As I sit over my morning coffee, watching the Anna's Hummingbirds flitting through the snow to take their morning quaff of sugar water from my feeders, I was thinking that this must be a very "Western" phenomenon.

Nearly 35 years ago, I was mist-netting and banding songbirds at Malheur NWR (this was in the pre-Bundy times . . . ), and recall that the nets picked up migrating Black-chinned and Calliope hummers during snow flurries.

I was wondering if those of you who have experience Out East know whether the Ruby-throats similarly tank up on sugar water during these mornings of cold precipitation?

TIA, and cheers,
Jon. Anderson
OIyWA