[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 2/8/17

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 16:46:17 PST 2017

Tweets,

Today a dozen of us dealt with a cold, rainy day at Nisqually. It never got
out of the 30s and rained all day but at least it wasn't windy. The birds
were smarter than we were and pretty much hunkered down. By the time we
left the twin barns for the estuary boardwalk there were six of us and only
Shep and Jon Anderson did the estuary boardwalk.

The best sighting of the day may have been about 1200 DUNLIN out in the
reclamation area. They did a pretty good job of covering several acres.
Just as Shep and I were getting ready to scope one group for oddities a
PEREGRINE FALCON blew in and put the flock up. Oh well.

Needless to say there is lots of water and the waterfowl are scattered
throughout the refuge. There was a waterfowl survey today and it was pretty
easy as most of the waterfowl are elsewhere, not on the refuge.

We did see RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS on McAllister Creek and COMMON
MERGANSERS on the Nisqually River. We also had COMMON GOLDENEYE at both
places.

We did not relocate the GREAT HORNED OWL today.

For the day I had 42 species and now have 63 for the year. The only mammal
I saw was a BLACK-TAILED DOE and FAWN.

Until next week....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com