[Tweeters] Magnuson Bohemians: No

Josh Hayes Coralliophila at live.com
Thu Feb 16 12:55:50 PST 2017

I seized the opportunity (LWSD is on mid-winter break the next five days!) and shot out to Magnuson Park today on the off chance the Bohemian Waxwings were still hanging about, but no joy. I did find a tree FULL of starlings, silent, and then all at once it was as if someone flipped their collective switch and they started clicking and whirring and whizzing, like starlings do. I'm not fond of them, but they are pretty impressive. Ran into a fellow tweeter out there as well; always nice to see how widespread we are! (Hi, Linda!)

Other than that, the ducks are really getting to be on point, as the kids would say. There was a gorgeous hooded merganser in the easternmost pond south of the kite hill, and you could tell he thought he was gorgeous too. Beautiful male ring-necked duck in the same pond, a lovely green-winged teal one pond over... you get the idea. A lot of very active towhees, song sparrows still trying to get their songs down. A single ruby-crowned kinglet on the east side of the top athletic fields, and a flock of about a dozen winter-color white-crowned sparrows working the edge there as well. One emo-looking Cooper's hawk busily trying to get his feathers to lie down properly, in a tree just south of the kite hill. So, usual suspects all round, but spring is clearly in the air, and on the water.

Josh Hayes, back in currently sunny Licton Springs