[Tweeters] Clark County gulls - WESTERN and GLAUCOUS

Faye McAdams Hands zest4parus at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 19 10:29:49 PST 2017

Wow! Thanks for the report Jim!
Happy Birding
Faye

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM -0800, "Jim Danzenbaker" <jdanzenbaker at gmail.com<mailto:jdanzenbaker at gmail.com>> wrote:

All,

I've been surprised at the variety of gulls that I have encountered in two locations in Clark County - both significantly away from the Columbia River.

On the Battle Ground High School sports fields in the middle of Battle Ground (turn north from Main Street at the Post Office):

February 16, there was an adult WESTERN GULL with about 50 other assorted large gulls - mostly hybrid Herring, Glaucous-winged types but a few Thayer's thrown in for interest.

February 18, there were 35 Mew Gulls and about 5 Thayer's Gulls along with the usual assortment of larger Olympic style gulls

February 19: an immature GLAUCOUS GULL was on the field closest to the Post Office with about 65 other large gulls and a few Mew Gulls. It only stuck around for about 10 minutes or so. My phone was completely dead so I wasn't able to photograph it nor call anybody immediately. I quickly returned home and sent an e-mail to other Clark County birders and then returned 15 minutes later and the gull flock was gone. John Bishop and I looked for it later in the morning without success. This is my first Glaucous Gull in Clark County

February 18 on a flooded field south of CASEE (Center for Agriculture, Science, and Environmental Education) which is about a half mile East of Rte 503 on 149th Avenue - about 4 miles south of Battle Ground, there were about 800 gulls which included over 600 Mew Gulls (thanks to John Bishop or the numbers). The remainder were larger gulls with no unusual ones noted. This morning when I stopped there to look, there were ZERO gulls.

Will check both locations every day until I get tired of gulls.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim

--
Jim Danzenbaker