[Tweeters] Samish Flats Ring-necked Pheasant question (Eastern European subspecies)

Karen Wosilait karen.w.mobile at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:44:17 PST 2017

I was birding in Samish Flats (more specifically on Samish Island Rd, between Bayview Edison Rd and the West 90) when I saw two male Ring-necked Pheasants, one the Asian subspecies that we typically get around here, and one the Eastern European subspecies that I’ve never seen before. They weren’t skittish, so it was pretty easy to get some photos from my car even though I was just across the street:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94096770@N02/albums/72157678737888051

I’m assuming they were released or escaped, but I’ve never seen the Eastern European subspecies before. Does that mean it escaped rather than was released?

Karen Wosilait
Seattle, WA
karen.w.mobile at gmail.com