[Tweeters] Yakima Birding

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 21 03:30:09 PST 2017

Hey Tweets!

I'm over in Yakima, visiting with family and birding, and have had some good luck with weather and birds so far. On Sunday, I walked the Popoff Trail in Yakima, looking for a feeding station that has had some good sparrows this winter. It took some waiting with another birder, but we got peekaboo looks at the Harris' Sparrow that came and joined numerous Song, White-crowned, and Golden-crowned Sparrows. The park also had a Pacific Wren (new county bird for me!), and a busy flock of Bohemian Waxwings.

Monday was a long and productive day with Andy Stepniewski and Eric Heisey - not a bad couple of tour guides to land for a whole day! I started my day at the Terrace Heights Cemetery, with numerous Wood Ducks, American Wigeon and Mallards. At Andy and Ellen's we watched the feeders for a White-throated Sparrow, and found two (!). The pair included a tan and white-striped, which was my first time seeing them side-by-side. A Fox Sparrow at the feeder was a new bird for me in Yakima as well.

Highlights from the rest of the day:
Greater Yellowlegs on the Yakima River near Granger
First of year Say's Phoebe (Emerald Road), and Sagebrush Sparrow (Toppenish NWR). The Sagebrush Soarrow gave life looks and was singing as we were just getting out of the car.
Long-eared (Wapato area) and Northern Saw-whet (Reservation Memorial Park) Owls - both birds that I had only heard before, but was able to see. We also had a flock of 50-100 Bohemian Waxwings at Reservation Memorial Park, and a Great Horned Owl.
Scads of Lewis's Woodpeckers at Fort Simcoe.

Great company, and it was great to learn more about birds, botany and geology with Eric and Andy!

The Saw-whet was my 150th life bird for Yakima, so that was a wonderful way to crest that mark in the county where I grew up (oblivious to birds at the time!).

Happy Birding!
Tim Brennan
-Renton

Sent from my iPhone