[Tweeters] NIsqually NWR 2/22/17

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:09:48 PST 2017

Tweets,

Yesterday 24 of us enjoyed a great day at Nisqually. It was sunny with the
temps hitting the mid 40s and very little wind. We had an 11.6 high tide at
2:03 so it was a good day to walk the estuary boardwalk.

Highlights included PACIFIC LOON, BLACK BRANT, SPOTTED SANDPIPER, and
EURASIAN WIGEON.

The day started off well at the visitor center where we had a NORTHER
SHRIKE in the top of the doug fir across the pond. We also added HOODED
MERGANSER and WILSON'S SNIPE there.

The orchard was pretty quiet but we did find a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER there.

Lots of water on the refuge so waterfowl were scattered but abundant. All
the usual suspects were seen. We also saw a flock of about 25 SWALLOWS,
mostly TREE but a few VIOLET-GREENS hawking over the pond south of the twin
barns and later over the visitor center pond.

Out at the start of the estuary boardwalk we spotted a PACIFIC LOON that
afforded great looks as it fed near shore. We also saw RED-BREASTED
MERGANSER, COMMON GOLDENEYE, a female GREATER SCAUP, and a lone DUNLIN with
5 LEAST SANDPIPERS.

Further out on the boardwalk we saw SPOTTED SANDPIPER, the BLACK BRANT, and
our only EURASIAN WIGEON of the day.

As I was getting in my car to leave a flock of 500 or so CACKLING GEESE
flew onto the refuge and landed in the field next to the parking lot. A
quick check showed at least 1 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE. A nice late
addition to the day's list.

For the day I had 58 species and now have 71 for the year. Mammals seen
were BLACK-TAILED DEER, HARBOR SEAL and GRAY SQUIRREL.

Until next week....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA