[Tweeters] WOS Program - March 6

B B birder4184 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 11:02:45 PST 2017

It ishard to believe that March is right around the corner.  Looking forward tospringtime.  I am also looking forward to the next meeting of theWashington Ornithological Society which will be on Monday, March 6th.

Our program will feature Bill Tweit and Wendy Connally.  Bill is awell known Washington Ornithologist, birder, educator and conservationist withmany contributions to our birding community over many decades and is a SpecialAssistant to the Director of the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife(WDFW),  Wendy is  the Coordinator -WildlifeProgram, Diversity Division -Citizen Science and Watchable WildlifePartnerships - Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. Theirprogram is "EbirdNorthwest: Best Practices for Conservation Action".  Ebird hassignificantly changed birding in many ways for birders but also forresearchers, conservationists, government agencies and educators.  Ebird Northwest is less well known and this program is a chance to learn about it and Ebird in general.

Specific topics covered will include

·        eBirdNorthwest – partners, purpose, and support for the birding and birdconservation community

·        eBirdNorthwest analytics – growth, how birders are using this in Washington andOregon, and what we hope to see in the future

·        eBirdchecklist Best Practices – what makes a really useful checklist for bird andbird habitat conservation action

·        HowWDFW is supporting eBird use, learning, and best practices – workshops, projectexamples and applications

As always the meeting will be at the Urban HorticulturalCenter next to the Union Bay Natural Area.  Social time at 7:00 PM and theprogram officially begins at 7:30.  All are welcome.

Blair BernsonWOS Program Chair