[Tweeters] Blue-winged teal or?

Larry Schwitters leschwitters at me.com
Tue Feb 28 13:04:14 PST 2017

A male Blue-winged Teal is a very distinctive critter. It is not closely related to and looks nothing like a Barrow’s Golden Eye or a Scalp. If Margaret got a good look and then went to a field guide and found what matched I don’t see why so many have decided it must be something else. A Northern Shoveler is closely related but it’s distinctive feature is the bill and I believe the faded crescent is an early fall feature.

Blue-winged Teal, good bird Margaret.

Larry Schwitters
Issaquah