[Tweeters] eBird Report - Lake Sammamish State Park, Feb 24, 2017

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 15:32:40 PST 2017

Hi Tweets,

Here's my eBird report of the birds seen during Eastside Audubon's monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park:

Lake Sammamish State Park, King, Washington, US
Feb 24, 2017 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.8 mile(s)
Comments: Sharon and Stan were joined by 23 other birders on February 24, 2017 at Eastside Audubon's monthly bird walk at Lake Sammamish State Park. Mostly cloudy, 37-42F, 1-3 mph. 51 spcs, 78 for the year. HIGHLIGHTS:
GULLS: Mew, Ring-billed, California, Herring & Glaucous-winged
DUCKS AND OTHER WATER BIRDS--we had a nice assortment and long looks at 12 species
PILEATED WOODPECKER--foraging on the boardwalk snags
COMMON RAVEN--2 were soaring very high over the park
TREE SWALLOWS--several were flying and feeding low over the water
HERMIT THRUSH--thanks to Ken, a single bird was seen perched briefly on a fence post near Tibbetts Beach.
Critters: a couple of Eastern Gray Squirrels

The next bird walk is Friday, MARCH 24, 8 am to NOON (hours for SEPTEMBER through MARCH...changing to 6:30-11:30 am April through August). No pre-registration, just show up rain or shine. Since this is a state park, a Discover Pass is necessary to park ($10 daily, $30 annual). We meet just inside the main park entrance (NOT the boat launch entrance off of Eastlake Sammamish Parkway), in the large parking lot on the left, and park in the middle of the first and second rows.
51 species (+3 other taxa)

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34876287