[Tweeters] Varied Thrush

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard scormieraa001 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 1 15:36:09 PST 2017

Hi Tweets,

To share my recent experiences with Varied Thrush in the Bellevue and Issaquah areas of western Washington:

I have about 6-8 wintering in our Newport Hills Bellevue yard, which is typical for my yard. Plus, on Dec 16 while hiking a forest trail in the Cougar-Squak Corridor, about 300-1300 feet above sea level, on a cold morning (28-31F), we saw about 80+ Varied Thrush all along the 3 mile distance. My ebird notes: 8 groups of 8-40 Varied Thrush flush up from the forest floor in front of us, fly up and perch briefly on branches, then fly again, perch, and fly further. This happened again and again throughout the 3 mile trail, with the thrush groups about 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart, so not the same birds. Have not experienced this phenomenon before, and we were delighted. We heard a couple vocalizations that were uniquely different than the more common trill. Chup, and a more complex trill.

Sharon Cormier-Aagaard
Bellevue, WA
scormieraa001 at hotmail.com