[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 1/4/17

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:50:28 PST 2017

Tweets,

Today 25 of us braved a cold, windy day to walk Nisqually. We had 30degree
temps and gusts up to 25 miles per hour so it felt much colder,
particularly in the unprotected areas.

Highlights included a WILSON'S SNIPE at the visitor center overlook and a
couple of PEREGRINE FALCONS. We also had a large flock of DUNLIN fly over
the pond south of the twin barns early on.

Most of the interior ponds were frozen and we had a 14.11 high tide at
10:03 so there was lots of water on the surge plain. The northerly wind
pushed the tide higher.

Most of the waterfowl we saw was out in the surge plain along with several
GREATER YELLOWLEGS and some of the DUNLIN. Most of the birds were hunkered
down along the shoreline out of the wind.

Passerines were few and far between with moistly single members of a
species being seen at one time. The only exception to that rule were
SPARROWS, FOX, SONG and GOLDEN-CROWNED being seen in small flocks.

There were several BALD EAGLES about along with a couple of RED-TAILED
HAWKS, one of which was being harassed by a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK. A COMMON
RAVEN was seen near the twin barns.

For the day I had 38 species. Mammals seen were a BLACK-TAILED DEER and
HARBOR SEAL.

Until next week.....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com