[Tweeters] Red Flanked Bluetail in Lewiston, ID

B B birder4184 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 4 17:18:51 PST 2017

With excellent assistance from Keith Carlson, this morning around 8:45, I quickly saw and photographed the Red Flanked Bluetail originally found by John Hanna at Hell's Gate Park in Lewiston, ID.  It continues to come to the same patch of Russian Olives on the riverbank.  Keith took me to the perfect spot and the little beauty put on a great show.  Eventually at least 6 other birders came in for this rarity.  Very photo friendly.  Will post link later.
The worry was whether it would survive the cold as it approached single digits last night.  So far so good.
Also on the trip a Northern Saw Whet Owl in Swallows Park and a Glaucous Gull on the Snake River near Chief Timothy Park (did not find the Lesser Black Backed Gull).
Amazing number of raptors coming home this afternoon: 15 Bald Eagles, 30+ Rough Legged and 30+ Red Tails, 20+ Kestrels and a single Merlin.  Roads were clear but very cold and very windy.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android