Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Jan 5 17:25:40 PST 2017

Tweets – We got off to a frigid but very nice start to 2017. By 8:00 a.m., the thermometers were reading 12 or 13 degrees F, which is COLD. But it was a gorgeous, sunny morning with no wind, and with low humidity. Simply bundling up was sufficient to keep warm. With the sunshine, the birds were out and active. And with many nearby ponds and streams frozen, the river and lake were full of birds seeking open water.

Highlights:

SNOW GOOSE Juvenile with Canadas at Concert Venue
CINNAMON TEAL One female amongst Green-winged Teal below weir
N. Shoveler Probably at least 3
C. Merganser 50-70 on lake – very high count for Marymoor
- 12 species of duck total -
Western Grebe At least one on lake
D.c. Cormorant Maybe 40 on lake – many for Marymoor
Killdeer Minimum of 37, maybe as many as 45
R.b. Sapsucker One near mansion
Y.r. Warbler 1 drab Audubon’s type, along slough below weir
Lincoln’s Sparrow 2+ at Compost Piles, with great looks at 1
W. Meadowlark 11 or 12, SE of Climbing Rock

There were about 100 GREEN-WINGED TEAL, along with many GADWALL, AMERICAN WIGEON, MALLARDS, and several diving ducks below the weir. It was great fun to pick out the lone CINNAMON TEAL female who conveniently sat on the near shore. Matt first noticed her, spotting frost crystals on her head. Once we looked at her, though, we were saying, “That’s not a Green-wing...” It was also fun to pick out the NORTHERN SHOVELERS, including a female who initially had her bill tucked in.

Also a good day for mammals, with a COYOTE on the far side of the slough, and a RIVER OTTER from the lake platform. Matt heard a BEAVER slap in the dark of night, and I saw two MUSKRAT in a late viewing of the lake.

For the day, and the year, 57 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com