[Tweeters] RE: pellet ID

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 11:55:40 PST 2017

Well, OK - it's not an owl (or other bird) pellet - after, at the suggestion of both Dave F. (Madison, WI) and Jeff K (C. Wash.), I reluctantly picked the pellet apart and discovered, much to my chagrin, that my hopes of it being an owl pellet (from a N. Saw-whet Owl) were dashed. It now seems that this was indeed a piece of dried-up scat, actually containing no visible bones, but instead small pieces of fuzz-coated gravel and some grass and other plant material. No liquid or odor. An exit hole from a mt. beaver is at the base of the shelving unit - lots of pushed up soil and lots of sand and small rocks - typical mound made by Aplodontia rufa, of which I have one or 2 on my property.
Drat. Scat (at least not from a rat). But I learned something...

I've added 3 photos to the Flickr album showing the post-picked apart pellet -

> Photos and description at this link : https://flic.kr/s/aHskSb5ueM

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net