[Tweeters] Purdy Spit Common Eider Today

cariddellwa at gmail.com cariddellwa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 15:17:44 PST 2017

I arrived at Purdy Spit about 12:15 p.m. Viewing conditions were challenging due to wind waves. Charles Desilets arrived shortly after I did. We combined our efforts. The eider was not near the barge directly south of the boat ramp. I thought I saw it in the vicinity of the several Surf Scoters much farther to the east, closer to the houses along the shore. We drove east on the spit, as far as we could and still be able to park on the shoulder. When we set up our scopes again, it took another five minutes of so to find the eider directly south of us, in good scope range but not great for my camera lens. We agree that it is a Common Eider. The slope of the face and bill match that of Common Eider, not King Eider. I’m not sure if I would call it a first winter female or an adult female in breeding plumage. I’ll leave age typing to those who are more knowledgeable.

I do recommend starting your search at the boat ramp at the west end of the spit. If you don’t find it there, work your way east.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds, WA