[Tweeters] Grayish junco, West Seattle

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Wed Jan 11 12:33:49 PST 2017

Hi Tweets,

I've been noticing an unusually-colored junco around my yard for a few days or a couple of weeks. When it stopped by my feeder again today, I remembered Theresa Michelsen's post from New Year's Day, describing a grayish junco. That one turned out to be a Cassiar Junco. But mine doesn't have the brownish back that Theresa described; it's all gray except for the lower breast and undertail.

I'm wondering if it could be a Slate-colored Junco. Ebird shows that Jason Vassallo recorded a sighting on Queen Anne earlier this month, but that's the only sighting in Seattle in the past couple of months.

Two photos are at

flickr.com/photos/trileigh

-they're not terribly aesthetic because the bird's at a feeder, but I hope should be enough for ID. Your thoughts?

Good birding to you,
Trileigh

Trileigh Tucker
Pelly Valley, West Seattle
Website: TrileighTucker.com
Natural history blog: Naturalpresencearts.com/blog
Photography: Flickr.com/photos/trileigh